Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Vist To DeCordova 1



On July 8th we took a field trip to the DeCordova museum and sculpture park to see a photography exhibit by Barbara Norfleet, titled Landscapes of War. I thought the exhibit was well put together, and I found her subject very interesting- before this I didn't even know there were high-security Cold War military sites in the south west. In a way I liked how she softened the striking appearance of the military sites with the flower pictures on the side, but I also think that almost takes away from the seriousness of the subject, and that her images themselves are enough to comprehend. These first two pieces are my favorite of hers, so I decided to copy them from the DeCordova website. The one of the giant spools of metal cord (I forget what it's called exactly) seems to me to not only exemplify the vastness of the area by deliberately making everything seem so spread out, but it also shows that the military sees no reason for containing themselves or their equipment which also exemplifies the selfishness of the country in a sense. The second image could also serve the same purpose, in that they built this building just to abandon it. I'm almost glad they did though, because the way the light filters through it creates an unbelievable image that tricks my mind every time I look at it. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment